Thursday, April 23, 2009

Not Quite Sufficient Cat-Proofing

Got home last night to find that a certain cat, who shall remain nameless though his initials are BRUCE, had dragged my 1974 paperback of John Jakes' Brak Versus the Sorceress off the shelf and chewed up the lower corners of the cover and the first twenty or so pages. Eating books is not really a way to endear yourself to me. I admonished him severely but I feel that I was perhaps not getting through, since during the discussion he attacked my left foot. Oh well. I never liked that cover much anyway, though I was proud that I was able to identify it from the mangled bit of cover that I found in the living room. Maybe I'll replace my Braks with different editions soon, though probably after Trish has returned from Iraq. All other endangered books have been moved to safer quarters...

3 comments:

Beth said...

Thunder has a thing for book-play. She's more for the scratching, but she's been known to bite and chew, too. My solution was to surrender a single crap book to her - some Christina Dodd paperback (I couldn't get past page 12, so I'm glad it had some use) and one time she went straight for the most despised Gabaldon hardcover. I just left it on the floor for her, and it seemed to eventually get it out of her system. Now she never snags the good books from the lowest shelves.

Beth said...

Oh, and I should add that I think Thunder went for the decoy book because I spent a lot of time pretending that I was reading said books. Kept it on my lap, held it as though reading while I was really watching TV, cracked the spine, etc. Then I let her at it. If I'd just brought in some fresh book from the USB, she wouldn't have fallen for it.

All of the above is an example of the manipulative mind-fuck games that cat owners are forced to master. Fun!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks for the advice. If he does it anymore I'll try a decoy book. I'm hoping it was just an isolated incident since he's never shown any interest in books before and so far hasn't since. I'll gladly sacrifice a decoy book to keep him clear of others. But I did move anything I cared about to an area he can't reach.