Friday, May 08, 2009

Escher Dreams


I was dreaming this morning that I was staying in a hotel. I don't know where, and it really doesn't matter. At some point I was in the lobby and wanted to go back to my room, but when I got to the stairs I found that I was looking at them upside down, as if the building had inverted. There were people standing, sitting or walking on other walls of the vast lobby. In short, the place had become an M.C. Escher painting. Unfortunately for me, I had been left out of the transformation and gravity only worked in one direction for me. Plain old down.
For some reason though, I was determined to get to my room and I jumped up and grabbed the inverted stair railing and began pulling myself up, hand over hand. After that I had a dizzying climb, over sideways furniture and inverted light fixtures, through the Topsy Turvy hotel until I reached my floor.

No comments: