Saturday, May 09, 2009

Good Morning Mr. Scott


Since I'm waxing all nostalgic about Star trek I'll tell you about my meeting with Scotty or rather with actor James Doohan. Happened at the San Diego Comic Con in 1989 or 1990. I forget which. As constant readers of Singular Points may recall I don't sleep well, usually about six hours a night, and I often wake up at odd hours. Of course being in San Diego I was three hours off from Georgia time, so when I woke up, at what to me was 6:00 or so, it was 3:00 am in San Diego. I hung out in my room, reading and such as long as I could stand it, until about 6:00 California time, then I went out in search of coffee.
I walked down the hall and pressed the elevator button and watched as the indicator lights showed the elevator heading my way. The doors swung open and there in the car was Mr. Scott. I stepped inside and Doohan said, "Good morning."
"Morning," I said.
"You're up early."
"Yeah, I'm out looking for coffee."
"Me too," Doohan said, "Do you know if the hotel restaurant's is open yet?"
"I'm not sure but there's a MacDonald's around the corner."
Doohan's mouth wrinkled. "That's too strong for me."
"Truck driver coffee, as my dad calls it," I said.
Doohan laughed. The elevator doors opened and we both exited. He headed toward the restaurant and I headed for the front door, both of us wishing the other a good one.
That's it. I never acknowledged that I knew who he was. Didn't ask for an autograph or anything. Didn't say "Beam me up, Scotty." Figured he got enough of that. We were just two insomniacs passing in the night. But as you can see, I always remembered that brief conversation.
Oddly enough, many years later at another comic book convention I rode in an elevator with Marina Sirtis who played Deanna Troi on Star Trek the Next Generation. She was much better looking in person and very tiny. Our conversation was much the same as mine with Scotty. We just exchanged pleasantries. So there's your tip to meeting celebrities at cons. Hang out in elevators and don't be a dweeb.

No comments: