Monday, May 11, 2009

Reading Report

Been a while since I gave a reading report, but it certainly hasn't been due to a lack of reading. In fact I've had a real surge of reading here in the last two weeks. I read all four of Michael Moorcock's initial Jerry Cornelius novels back to back. That's not as impressive as it sounds since they're only a couple of hundred pages each. Of the four, (The Final Programme, A Cure For Cancer, The English Assassin, and The Condition of Muzak) my favorite was The Condition of Muzak, as it was closest in spirit to The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the 20th Century, which was the book that started me on the Cornelius kick anyway. I also read the original version of the short story collection The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius. I say original version because a later addition removed four of the stories from the original and replaced them with four different tales. (And yes I have a copy of that on the way, along with copies of collections which contain two other Cornelius novellas.)
I went back and read sections of Mike's Warlord of the Air trilogy, seeking the chapters that featured Miss Persson and then read one of his Seaton Begg stories which also features the elusive Una. I'm basically trying to see how this one character figures in so many of Mike's series. Keep in mind that not all the incarnations of Una are the same character, but most of them seem to be. She travels not only in time, but along the Moonbeam Roads which carry people from one alternate reality to another. Next up is Mike's Dancers at the End of Time trilogy. Una's in that one too.
In between the Cornelius stuff I read I Am Spock by Leonard Nimoy, a book my father bought me at a library sale. It's a fairly interesting account of how Nimoy got the job as everyone's favorite Vulcan and his adventures playing the character for four decades. Just a coincidence that dad got it a couple of weeks before the new Trek film premiered. Also Read a couple of non-fiction books that I'll talk about later.

No comments: