Sunday, June 07, 2009

Reading Report


This weekend I read the Entropy Tango, the only one of Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius books that I had left. It might as well as been titled The Further Adventures of Una Perrson since it deals far more with the exploits of Mrs. Perrson than of Mr. Cornelius. This is fine with me as Una is by far my favorite character in the Jerry Cornelius series. It's construction is much like that of The Adventures of Una Perrson and Catherine Cornelius in the 20th Century (which I reviewed a couple of months back) following Una as she jaunts about in time and alternate realities.
Also read the first quarter or so of Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, just enough to see that the duo's prose style leaves me completely flat. I liked the plot but just couldn't wade through the serviceable but unimpressive word smithing. Not my cuppa.
I'm having a similar problem with Lee Child (no relation) and his books about Jack Reacher. I'm about halfway through Nothing to Lose but I keep putting it aside. It's a bit more riveting than Relic but not much.
In the meantime I switched to a non fiction book by Hampton Sides called Blood and Thunder: Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West. I'm having a fine time with that one so expect a full review later. My 'to be read' pile is pretty high just now, so I'll hopefully have plenty of reading reports and book reviews coming up soon.

No comments: