Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Rule Victoriana

Managed to get 'The Silent History' back on track by deleting a scene and completely rewriting it. That brings me to 6135 words as of today with and estimated 2000 words to go. The challenge I set myself was to write something crossing four genres: sword & sorcery, Victoriana, hardboiled fiction, and H.P. Lovecraft style horror. So far the hardboiled part has fared the worst, only coming on strong in two places. Victoriana has ruled so far, with S&S and horror starting to push to the front as the story approaches its end. I don't like all that I've written, but I do like some of it and hopefully I can hammer the rest into shape in the second draft. I never like all of it. Just part of being a writer, I guess.

2 comments:

lk said...

I've been listening to The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón on audio. It's rather interesting, certainly gothic and spooky, with that sort of whisper of fantasy amid reality that intrigues. I'm only part way through, not quite sure if i like it or not, but I definitely don't want to stop listening. The is another, The Shadow of the Wind,that I haven't read.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I looked this one up on Amazon and it certainly looks interesting. Might have to check it out.