Monday, September 07, 2009

With a Little Help From My Friend

As you may recall, a couple of posts ago, I had consigned my sword & planet short story Slavers of Trakor to the nether realms of slightly wonky stories. Figured maybe I could come back to it in a few months and fix it, But, as fate would have it, last night I was talking to my pal Laura, a real honest to gosh novelist, and she said to send it to her. So I did and she sent it back today with a bunch of notes and suggestions about how to fix it. And she nailed the main structural problem that I couldn't quite grasp. So this afternoon I've been Mr. rewrite. I've hammered together a mostly finished version, which will still need a little editing, but for the most part it's done. And it's much much better than it was and now I'm happy with it. The end. Go Laura. You're the best.

Oh, and in case any of you were worried about the other story, A Candle for Miraj, I have decided it works better as a sword & sorcery story, which is how the idea was originally conceived. And given its origins, he said cryptically, that's hardly surprising. More on that later.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I'll make it a point to look for it on the shelves of "Chapters".

Lanny said...

Great post!