Monday, October 19, 2009

Halloween Report

Scanning the last few posts I see that my blog is looking very Halloween-ish. (Halloween-esque? Halloweeny?) I've got H.P. Lovecraft, Universal Monsters, Robert E. Howard horror, and Dr. Spektor. There will be more to come as I have other Halloween related posts in mind. I have always enjoyed the Halloween season. I like to read scary stories and watch creepy movies and just get into the whole spirit of the thing. Last night I read Lovecraft's story Pickman's Model and a few nights before I re-read The Whisperer in Darkness. Both of these are Lovecraft tales that basically are build ups to a surprise ending. I don't think either would surprise modern readers but both are very atmospheric and still a lot of fun. I've read my two favorite Lovecraft stories, The Call of Cthulhu and The Dunwich Horror, too recently for re-reads this year so I'm delving back into some Lovecraft stuff I haven't read in years. Also I'm reading the Lovecraft/Robert E. Howard correspondence right now and Lovecraft was talking about 'Whisperer' in one of the letters. Made me want to go back and re-read it.
I have a Halloween movie double feature coming up which isn't exactly horror, but if fits the season for reasons which will become apparent later. Kind of wanted to write a Halloween short story this year, but I'm running out of time so that may not go, at least not by Halloween. Anyway, more ghostly goings on to come.

2 comments:

John Corey said...

But where is your take on the Solomon kane movie?

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Given what I've read about the script and the storyline, I'm not too optimistic, John, but I'll give it a chance if it ever gets a distributor. The trailer reminds me of a Hellboy movie.