Monday, October 05, 2009

My Evening as Rubeus Hagrid

Wow, it's been a week since I blogged anything. Sorry about that. Its not that nothing of interest has happened, but I guess I just haven't been in a bloggy mood. Anyway, probably the most interesting thing from last week was being J.K. Rowling's Rubeus Hagrid on Friday night. It happened like this.
My friend Nancy was having a birthday party for her daughter Ellen, who was just turning eleven. Ellen is a huge fan of the Harry Potter books and her mom was throwing her a Harry Potter birthday party/sleepover. Ellen and a group of her friends all dressed up as various characters from the Potter books. They played Harry Potter games and Nancy and her husband had done up their house as Hogwarts, making various rooms into class rooms where the girls got to attend classes in potions, magical creatures, defense from the dark arts, etc.
But, what Ellen didn't know, was that Nancy had asked me (the biggest guy she knew) to show up halfway through the party and deliver a somewhat dented birthday cake and a letter of acceptance to Hogwart's just as Hagrid does in the first book to the just turned eleven Harry Potter. She ordered an impressive mask with lifelike hair and beard for me to wear, and a pink umbrella like Hagrid carries. To make the costume more authentic, I borrowed my dad's duster coat. This turned out better than I expected because the long coat hung from my shoulders, making me seem even bigger than I already am. And I can do a credible impersonation of actor Robbie Coltrane's voice from the movies which helped.
Ellen and her friend were stunned when I showed up and pounded on the door. When Ellen answered, her eyes looked the size of saucers. I think the girls were a little scared of this huge stranger (Ellen had never met me) but they warmed up quickly when I started talking in my Hagrid voice and being funny and answering their rapid fire questions just as if I were really Hagrid. I was a major hit.
There was only one small mishap. The eye holes in the mask weren't quite big enough and Nancy cut them bigger for me. Somehow this unsealed the latex around my eyes and the fumes made my eyes burn after I'd worn the mask for a while, so I had to unmask sooner than I'd planned. Still, my unexpected arrival went really well.
I will note that there is something very strange about wearing a lifelike mask. Looking at myself in the mirror was a bit of a jolt. I would never have recognized myself.
And yes, before some of you ask, there are pictures, but they were taken with a film camera, not a digital one. When the pics get back I'll borrow them and scan them. For now you'll just have to imagine me as the grounds keeper for Hogwart's.

1 comment:

lk said...

We Want Photos! We Want Photos! We Want Photos!