Monday, November 16, 2009

Blasts From the Past

Recently I've been buying DVD ROMs containing mass quantities of old Golden Age comic books. I picked up a set last week of Fawcett Comics featuring the original Captain Marvel (Shazam) and the Marvel family. I've always had a soft spot for the Big Red Cheese (As Cap was often called by his arch enemy Dr. Sivana) and most of the stories have yet to be reprinted in books, so the DVD ROMs were an inexpensive way to get a lot of fun old comics. While the character of Captain Marvel is trademarked by DC Comics, the old stories themselves are in public domain, or so the seller tells me.
It's interesting in that while I don't have much use for E-Book Readers or reading text online, I don't mind reading comic books on my PC, probably because comics are a visual medium. As long as the scans are good, reading them on the monitor is fine by me. Cliff and I were talking about this the other day and we think that this is probably where comics will be going in the future. Loathe though I am to admit it, I think the days of the paper comic book may be numbered, but that's a topic for another time.
Another thing Cliff and I were talking about was that with the scans you get the entire comic book, not just the story, so you get to see the letters and the text features and the ads. I've been having a lot of fun with all the old advertisements for Wild Root Hair Cream, (featuring Sam Spade) RC Cola, Tootsie Roll, and such, all of which are done in comic strip form. The art on these ads is often better than the art in the comic book stories themselves.
Anyway, I've got a whole bunch of stories about Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr, and Mary Marvel (Now there' s a name for you.) plus many lesser known Fawcett heroes such as Bulletman, Ibis the Invincible, Mr. Scarlet, and many many more. Fun stuff.

No comments: