Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Reading

After knocking out Under the Dome I finished Anne Perry's A Christmas Beginning. I've already given a synopsis a couple of posts earlier so I'll just say that the mystery held up to the end and the book had as happy an ending as a book about murder can have. As always I was impressed with Perry's seemingly effortless conjuring of the Victorian era. She never hits you over the head with her historical research. All the details you need are dropped in as you need them. Not an easy trick. I understand that next year Perry has a mystery coming out set in thirteenth century Byzantium. Have to check that out.
Not really sure what I'll read next. May be time to re-read Dickens' A Christmas Carol yet again. Watching the movies is fun but there's nothing to compare with reading the book. Plus, I have a nifty annotated edition with lots of information and cool illustrations to explain any of the obscure references and outmoded words and expressions. Very handy indeed.
I'll probably dig out some of my Christmas comic book trades. I have several collections of Disney, Archie, and Superhero Christmas comics. I enjoy reading those during the Holidays.
Think I've got some collections or Christmas mysteries around somewhere too, and there's always Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Christmas tale, The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle.
Of course I have Christmas get togethers to attend Tuesday and Wednesday evenings so there won't be much time to read before Christmas Eve, and I have a family dinner that night too, so we'll see what I can work in.

No comments: