Friday, March 05, 2010

Hmm, March seems to be up and running and I haven't stopped by to blog. Not that much going on really. We did have some snow on Tuesday. It was fairly heavy and very pretty. I lucked out and was home on a vacation day so I didn't have to worry about getting out. I just enjoyed watching the large white flakes fall. Got about three inches, and for once it all melted instead of turning into a giant sheet of ice, so all and all a very enjoyable bit of winter weather.
Reading-wise things have been a bit slow. I re-read two of Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels last weekend, Ceremony and Taming a Sea Horse. (The second title is from Robert Browning's My Last Duchess in case you were wondering.) As always, I enjoyed Parker's snappy dialog, and these early entries in the Spenser series are denser than the later books in terms of plot and characterization. Then I read David Gemmell's Winter Warriors, which was one of the few books of his that I hadn't already read. Very good, but a bit similar in plot and characters to Quest for Lost Heroes which I reviewed a few posts back. Had I been aware of that, I'd probably have waited a while to read Warriors. Oh well. Still a rollicking good adventure with lots of swordfights and action. I might do another Gemmell re-read over the weekend, but we'll see what else presents itself.
In real life, I had my yearly review at work this week. Went pretty well and I did get a raise, which is something to be thankful for in hard economic times. Otherwise, not much to report. We'll see what the weekend brings.

No comments: