Thursday, April 29, 2010

Together Again for the Third Time

I learned last week that Roy Thomas, the original writer of Marvel Comics Conan the Barbarian comic book, is going to write a new Conan series for Dark Horse Comics, the company which currently publishes the adventures of the big Cimmerian. Roy was the man who introduced me to Conan about 1973 and I always enjoyed his work on the character. However the original rumor I heard was that Roy would be REPLACING current scripter Timothy Truman, which I was less happy about because I like Tim's take on Conan too. Don't get me wrong. I was thrilled to hear that Roy would be writing Conan again, but I didn't want Tim out of the picture.
As it turns out, Roy will be writing a 12 issue run that takes place later in Conan's career and Tim Truman will still be working on Conan with regular series artist Tomas Giorello. So now that I know Tim will still be around, I'm free to be unreservedly pleased that Roy Thomas will be back on Conan. Actually, I'd like to see Roy work with Giorello at some point because I've always thought Giorello would have been right at home drawing the old black and white Savage Sword of Conan magazine where Roy did some of his best work on Conan. Giorello's artwork is more traditional than some of the other artists Dark Horse has used on their Conan comics. Very solid drawing.
This will be Thomas's second return to the character. His first run on Conan went right at ten years, then he was away for almost the same length of time, only to return and write the character until Marvel gave up the rights in 1993. Now, 17 years later, he's back yet again. I'm looking forward to seeing how he picks up the reins.

No comments: