Monday, June 28, 2010

Season's End

Saturday night was the Season Finale of the first series of Doctor Who with Matt Smith as the Doctor. (In the UK that is.) It ended happily is all I'll say, without the angst that accompanied the ends of all four seasons of the first two 'new' Doctors. The style of producer/head writer Steven Moffat is markedly different from his predecessor Russell T. Davies, though Moffat wrote some of the better episodes of Davies's tenure. I watched a few David Tenant episodes over the weekend to compare the approaches. I still like Tenant a lot. His Doctor is more human, as I've said before. Smith seems more like an alien.
The two things I noted about Moffat and Smith's first season were Smith's almost comic portrayal, hearkening back to the days of the Charlie Chaplin like second Doctor, Patrick Troughton, and the emphasis on strong science fiction oriented scripts. Moffat had already been nominated for four prestigious Hugo awards (though he didn't win) for his episodes of the Davies series. Though Doctor Who is usually thought of as an SF show, many of the episodes are pretty weak in actual science fiction. Moffat seems to know his way around a time travel paradox and he has a lot of fun with them in the final episode.
I mentioned in one of my earlier reviews that some episodes did tend to have a lot of plot holes and the final two-parter does take care of some of those. Not all, however. Still, I found Smith's initial season to be a tremendous amount of fun, and I'm looking forward to his second year as the Doctor. In the meantime, I'll pick up the DVD box set later in the year and watch all the extras.

No comments: