Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Weekend Report

The Memorial Day weekend was fairly calm but filled with many things. I went to my Nephew Zack's High School graduation ceremony. Now I know what my parents mean when they say it seems like only yesterday when I was a kid. Doesn't seem like the boy I bought Samurai Jack toys for ought to be an adult, out of high school and into the real world. He looks like his dad did at that age, tall and slender with dark wavy hair and bright blue eyes. The days go by, don't they?
I did a lot of reading over the weekend. I tried Brandon Sanderson's book Warbreaker. Sanderson is the guy who was chosen to finish Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. He has several series and standalones of his own. Warbreaker is an interesting case because you can read the book for free if you want to at Sanderson's website. He's posted the entire novel, plus all the early drafts and revisions. Writers take note. Here's a good chance to see how someone writes their books. I read the first chapter at the website, and liked it enough that I went and bought the paperback. I still prefer real books to reading online and I like to support authors by buying their books. Overall I enjoyed it, though it could have used a bit more action.
Then I started Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, which was recommended to me by my pal, Laura. I'm liking this one a lot. Kind of a fantasy caper novel with a richly imagined urban setting. Reminds me in many ways of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser books, a little dark, with a lot of witty dialogue. It also reminds me quite a bit of the works of Charles Dickens. It's a beautifully written book, and rises well above the level of cookie-cutter medieval fantasy. Highly recommended. Thanks, Laura!
Also re-reading Michael Moorcock's Stormbringer, the first and last novel of Elric of Melnibone. Why first and last? Because it was the first one Mike wrote back in the sixties, but in the series chronology it takes place last. This is the one that brings the tormented albino prince's world to a spectacular end. On the way there is much stealing of souls and battles with monsters and all the things one expects from Elric.
What else? Watched the ninth episode of the new Doctor Who series, the second part of a two-parter. Still really liking Matt Smith as the Doctor. The main problem I'm having with the new series is there are some tremendous holes in the logic of some of the stories. Doctor Who isn't really to be taken seriously I know, but sometimes things just don't make sense. I'll try and elaborate more in a later post. Maybe some of it will be explained away by the end of the series.
Anyway, that was pretty much the weekend.

No comments: