Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bargain Horrors

While browsing the bargain books section at Barnes & Noble yesterday, I came across a hardback anthology called The Screaming Skull and other Classic Horror Stories. I thumbed through the contents and found that it contained several stories that made it to my Book of Horrors lists and others that I've reviewed or raved about here, including Robert Chambers' The Yellow Sign, Algernon Blackwood's The Willows, and Perceval Landon's Thurnley Abbey.
Best of all, there are stories by classic horror authors that I haven't read yet. Folks like Guy de Maupassant, M.R. James, J. Sheridan Le Fanu, and E.F. Benson. There are also a bunch of stories by authors I'm not familiar with, so possibilities for new favorites and new stuff to track down. And it was only eight bucks! Needless to say, I snatched this one up.
The hardback edition is from Fall River Press but a quick Google search shows me that the book was originally published in paperback by TOR back in 1995. You can get the TOR book for a penny and postage from any number of aftermarket sellers at Amazon. Or you can just go browse the Bargain Books like I did. If a reader had The Screaming Skull and last year's Fall River volume, H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horrors, he or she would have a great foundation for the history of the horror story. Worth thinking about as Halloween approaches.

P.S. I also noted that Barnes & Noble had remaindered copies of Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy. Another great deal.

No comments: