Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Charnel God Redux:

The entire time I was re-reading Clark Ashton Smith's The Charnel God, I kept thinking, "I bet Robert E. Howard liked this one."
A little research proves that true. On page 197 of Volume 3 of The Collected Letters of Robert E. Howard, REH writes to CAS of the Charnel God:

"That story is really a tremendously powerful thing, sinister figures moving mysteriously against a black background of subtle horror. I don't know when I've read anything I admired more."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always loved this story and imagined REH getting a huge kick out of it. I even had the sorcerous villian of my Conan pastiche swear by Mordiggian.
Nobody noticed, but it felt right.
Glad to know REH really did like The Charnel God.

John Hocking

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I didn't catch it when I read Conan and the Emerald Lotus, John, but I might not have read Charnel God at that point. But yeah, I was tickled to see that Howard had enjoyed the story.