Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Nice Surprise


Last autumn I was reading the horror stories of the late Joseph Payne Brennan and I also read a couple of his mystery short stories featuring psychic sleuth, Lucius Leffing. I'd been meaning to order a copy of the only "new' Leffing book available at Amazon, The Adventures of Lucius Leffing for some time but I didn't get around to it until last week. Amazon had it listed as 'In Stock' and sure enough I got the book on Thursday.
Now here's where things get a bit weird. I didn't realize that the book had originally come out in 1990, so though Amazon still had a shrink wrapped 'new' copy, the book was actually two decades old. I also didn't realize it was a Donald Grant book. Grant, of course, put out some of the nicest limited edition volumes ever of many of Robert E. Howard's books. But wait, it gets better. I also didn't know that The Adventures of Lucius Leffing was a limited first edition of 1000 signed copies. When I got it out of the shrink wrap I found that it had Brennan's signature in it. Very cool.
I went back to Amazon today to see if they had any more copies and now its status has been changed to 'Usually Ships in 1 to 2 months.' So I guess I got the only copy in stock. A couple of after market sellers are still listing new copies so there are some out there, but I guess I just got lucky when I got my copy. A nice surprise.

No comments: