Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Running Low

I'm running dangerously low on novels to read. Part of that, I think, is because my interests have narrowed somewhat in terms of fiction. I used to read mostly mysteries, but over the last few years I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for whodunits and now that Robert B. Parker has passed away, there isn't really another private eye author that I'm terribly interested in. In the fantasy field I'm still looking for harder edged, action oriented stuff. No friendly dragons need apply. I've actually had to turn to Historical Fiction for my sword fighting fix a lot in recent months. Not that I mind, really.
There's stuff in the pike. New F. Paul Wilson Repairman Jack book and new Robert Crais Joe Pike novel on the way. Joe Abercrombie has a new book out soon. The sequel to Kell's Legend should be available in the near future. Meanwhile I'm trying new authors left an right. Unfortunately Sturgeon's Law (95% of everything is crap) holds true it seems, so I have to wade through a lot of stuff to find the books I really enjoy.
Fortunately I have a lot of non-fiction and short stories and comics related stuff. And there are definitely books I want to re-read. I have things to read. But my supply of new novels is as low as I've seen it in some time. Makes me kind of nervous...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

There are no friendly dragons in The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas. A solid read that kept my attention even if I had some definite quibbles while reading...

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I'll check it out. Thanks!