Friday, October 08, 2010

How This Sort of Thing gets Started...


So last weekend when I was thinking about the Solomon Kane fragment 'Death's Black Riders' it made me think of the Kane fragments that had been finished by Ramsey Campbell and I remembered that while I owned a copy of Bantam Books Solomon Kane: Skulls in the Stars, I didn't have a copy of volume II, Solomon Kane:The Hills of the Dead, which meant that there were a couple of Campbell completed Fragments that I didn't have, so I found a copy of Volume II and ordered it.
The book arrived today and I wanted to compare it to Volume one because I realized that both books had fold out covers, so I wanted to see how the paintings matched up. Well while I was looking for the Kane book I noticed the cover of the Bantam edition of Conan the Swordsman had a foldout cover with a gold frame like the two Solomon Kane books. A quick check showed that I had other matching covers for Conan and the Spider God, Conan the Liberator, and Conan: The Road of Kings. Then I noticed that my copy of Bantam's Conan the Rebel was similar but didn't have a fold out cover. (Keep in mind that all these paperbacks have been accumulated over a decade or so, so I just never got around to looking at all of them closely.) A quick check of the interior of the books showed that Bantam had at least six books in the series of matching covers and I was missing Conan the Rebel and Conan: The Sword of Skelos.
Now unless you're a collector, you don't know why this is a problem. If you do collect, then you know why part of my brain was disturbed by the notion that I only had four out of six in a series. So I went to Ebay and Amazon and now I have copies of the two missing books coming even though I already own other editions of both those books. Now I'm trying to ignore the facts that there are editions of some of the other books that match the copy of Conan the Rebel that didn't match the other four and that my new copy of Hills of the Dead is much nicer than my copy of Skulls in the Stars and maybe I need a better copy...

1 comment:

Taranaich said...

Now unless you're a collector, you don't know why this is a problem. If you do collect, then you know why part of my brain was disturbed by the notion that I only had four out of six in a series.

Do I ever! I'm still mad that I never got issue 42 of a dinosaur magazine I collected as a lad.