Monday, January 03, 2011

The Adventures of Superhero Girl


I followed a link from the HeroPress Blog to Faith Erin Hicks' Adventures of Superhero Girl comic strip. I find it to be charmingly written and very well drawn. I really like Hicks' thick/thin inkline. She also spots her blacks well, which is one of the hallmarks of a good cartoonist. Hicks worked in animation and it shows in her fluid figures and expressive characters. In some ways her work makes me think of the Hernandez Brothers (Love and Rockets) and also of Golden Age Tarzan artist Jesse Marsh. Very energetic cartooning.
The Adventures of Superhero girl appears in The Coast, a free local (to Hicks) paper and is also available as a web comic. (Link provided below.) It's one of those strips that's just plain fun and makes you think about what it might really be like to have super powers. I like it a lot. I emailed Faith Erin Hicks and she gave me permission to post a strip. Here we see Superhero Girl facing off against a monster from space who turns out to be unexpectedly cute but still deadly.
Hicks is also the writer/artist of the Graphic Novels Zombies Calling and The War at Elsemere, both from SLG Publishing, and of an Online comic called ICE which I plan to give a read soon.
Anyway, if you like fun comics, go over to The Adventures of Superhero Girl page now and check out the rest of the strips. You'll find links to Hicks' webpage and other fun stuff there as well.

http://superherogirladventures.blogspot.com/

No comments: