Monday, February 14, 2011

Modem Times 2.0


Modem Times 2.0 is a slender little book, part of the Outspoken Authors series, written partially about and partially by Michael Moorcock. It contains a new Jerry Cornelius story, Modem Times 2.0, as well as My Londons, a reminiscence by Moorcock about the changing face of the city he grew up in, and a long interview with Moorcock titled Get the Music Right, in which he discusses everything from his early days as a writer to his involvement in the 1960s rock scene, to his most recent literary works.
One of the fascinating things about Michael Moorcock is the sheer length of time he's been a working writer and the many phases his career has encompassed. Sword & Sorcery. Comic books. Science Fiction. Editor of New Worlds. Musician. Songwriter. Literary Author. Activist. Screen writer. You name it.
My Londons is probably my favorite section of the book, as London is my favorite city in the world, and I always enjoy Moorcock's autobiographical stuff. His memoir, Letters From Hollywood would be in my top five Moorcock books. What would the other four be? I'd have to think about that.
The weakest part for me was the Jerry Cornelius story, one of Moorcock's non-linear tales, but then Jerry has always been sort of hit or miss for me. I really like some of the Cornelius stories, but others have left me cold. I tend to like the ones with Jerry's family more than the stream of consciousness super spy political satire stories. But that's just me.
Anyway, Modem Times 2.0 is worth picking up for the interview alone. A fascinating look into the restless mind of one of the most influential, original, mercurial writers of our time

2 comments:

Kate R said...

I have yet to read a Moorcock story. Maybe it's time.

If you're a glom-onto-a-writer type of reader, a Moorcock glom would last for months.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Indeed, Kate. Though I read the Elric books when I was a kid, I didn't really start reading Moorcock's other stuff until just few years ago. I read close to forty of his books back to back. His stuff is usually readily available at used bookstores too. Let me know if you need any recommendations.