Monday, March 07, 2011

Farewell Borders Books

I learned last week that the Borders Books in my area is closing, as are most of the Borders stores in Georgia. The chain has been struggling and may not even exist in a fairly short time, but that remains to be seen. My local store is on the way out for sure and that makes me a little sad.
See, back in 2004 when I moved to the Kennesaw area it was partly because that's where the bookstores were. I got tired of driving from the small town I grew up in to Kennesaw all the time to go book browsing. One night when I was driving home from my pal Cliff's Comic Book store, I thought, "I seem to spend all my time driving home from Kennesaw. I should just move here."
With Border's gone, that leaves only Barnes & Noble and though I shop at B&N, I always preferred Borders because they were better stocked in their art books and History departments. Their staff usually seemed more knowledgeable as well. More "book people" seemed to work there.
Anyway, back in better days, I could be found most Sunday mornings at Border's when they opened the doors at 9:00. I liked to wander around before the after church crowds hit and the staff got so used to me, they joked about having a reserved parking spot for me. I even considered going to work there at one point. Guess it's good that I didn't. I also have a lot of pleasant memories of browsing the Border's in Buckhead back in my Decatur days. I understand that it too is closing.
So farewell Border's Books. I had a lot of fun there and I bought a lot of books. Between E-Books and Online stores, I figure the days of the brick and mortar bookstores are numbered, and that's a pity. Sundays won't be the same.

No comments: