Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Star Wars Story

Reading this book about the Making of the Empire Strikes Back reminded me of my one brush with Star Wars in real life. Nothing dramatic. Just a funny vignette.
Many years ago, oh best beloved, I visited the San Diego Comic Con. This would have been 1989 or 1990, when the Con was still mostly about comic books, before the media people took over. Anyway, if you've ever been to a comic book convention, some dealers have comic book boxes set end to end on their tables so that if you're on one side flipping through old comics, someone else is often on the other side flipping through another box directly across from you, both of you working toward the center of the table.
I don't remember what comics I was looking at, but anyway I was flipping along and it happened that when I reached the end of the box, the guy on the other side also reached the end of his box, and as we were facing each other across the table, both of us looked up. The fellow on the other side of the table was Mark Hammil, Luke Skywalker. He was wearing a baggy t-shirt and shorts and he had a ball cap on and there were sunglasses around his neck, so I suppose he was in disguise, but he had the glasses off so he could look at comics. I didn't say a word. I just shook my finger at him, like "I know you" and went right back to what I was doing. He cracked up and asked me how I was and I said fine and you, and that was pretty much it. Just one of those funny things that happens at Cons. Oh, and what comics was Hammil looking at? Star Wars. What else?

2 comments:

Brett Brooks said...

I've heard that story from you several times, but I still get a kick out of it.

:)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yep, one of my favorite 'Con' stories.