Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Impossible Astronaut


No way I can avoid spoilers on this one, kids, so if you're planning to watch Doctor Who, skip this post. Okay, out of the gate let me say that the first episode of the new series lived up to my expectations. I really enjoyed it.
But...
The big pre-televising thing was that one of the major characters would die. Producer Stephen Moffat said that it would be a real death. Not a trick. A little Sherlock Holmes style ratiocination told me that it would be one of two characters. Either Rory would buy the farm because we don't really need him and because we know how River Song dies already, (Silence in the Library) or Moffat is lying and he'll kill The Doctor in some way that allows him to get around it. Bingo for choice two. A future version of The Doctor, three hundred years older than 'our' Doctor is killed. Now I'm sure Moffat is saying "It's really the Doctor and he really was killed" but sorry Steve, it's still a trick. And you'll have to reverse it when Matt Smith inevitably regenerates into another actor if not (more likely) before. Another actor can never be the Doctor if this version was really killed.
Here's another spoiler. If you looked close you may have noticed that the hardware in the underground alien lab was the same as that which appeared in last year's episode The Lodger, when the Doctor notes that someone is "trying to build a TARDIS." Very interesting.
The new aliens, The Silence, probably gave a lot of kids nightmares last night. They are seriously creepy. And they have a nifty Moffat style trait. Once you're not looking at them, you forget they exist.
Anyway, still liking Matt Smith's take on The Doctor a bunch. And I'm glad Rory is still alive. I like Rory. Next week is part two. Can't wait to see how things turn out.

4 comments:

Atlanta Roofing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charles R. Rutledge said...

Wow, spam that pulls an actual review of the show from another source. Of course this particular review was from The Guardian. I was fooled for about a second and a half...

Ronald said...

I think what it boils down to is Mr. Moffat's being a liar (which I tend to believe wholeheartedly), or there really will be a big BS explanation about how the Doctor regenerates.

Unlike you, I do NOT look forward to next week's episode, and I'm so pissed off now, that I wouldn't watch Dr. Who again if it continues another 30 years. Stephen Moffat would have been better off if he'd kept his big fat mouth shut. Does he think Jekyll was some sort of literary equivalent of Bleak House? The BBC rightly cancelled that train wreck.

So, after being a Doctor Who fan through thick and thin since 1978, I'm gone. I don't give a sh*t how its resolved. He couldn't write his way out of this if he were Victor Hugo, not without a silly assed bunch of back-peddling.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Ah, well hate to hear that this has ruined Doctor Who for you, Ronald. I'm still having fun with it, and liking it overall.