Thursday, May 05, 2011

Conan the Barbarian Trailer


The makers of the new Conan movie released a full trailer yesterday. I've watched it a couple of times and I will say that it looks like it could be fun. My basic take on the trailer was, "If this wasn't supposed to be Conan I'd probably be pretty interested in seeing the film." It does look like a fun sword & sorcery movie. There's a Cthulhoid monster, some obvious sorcery, some hot women and a lot of clips from fight scenes. Oh, and Jason Momoa does look much more like Conan should than Arnie, as I've said before. Those would be the positive things.
On the other hand, the overall look of the trailer doesn't really make me think Robert E. Howard. It just looks like another Hollywood Fantasy film. And I did note a distinct Wushu look to some of the fights. I'm really tired of this trend in action movies. If I want wire work and fights with spears and chain & sickle, I'll go rent a kung fu movie, thanks. Don't need it in the Hyborian Age. Anyway, the trailer is up at Yahoo Movies and I'm sure it's on Youtube by now, so I won't bother linking it. As I said, it does have some good points, but the jury is still out until August.

1 comment:

ArthurMacarthur said...

Couldn't agree more.
He has a good look ..but does the film? Frank Frazetta should be the inspiration for the Art Department.
AC