Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Doctor's Wife


There are days I hate Neil Gaiman. He just writes so well. Oh sure, I don't like all of his stuff, but most of it is very very good and some of it is amazing. In the amazing category, file last night's episode of Doctor Who, The Doctor's Wife. From start to finish it is both a classic DW adventure in terms of plot structure and resolution, yet at the same time it is filled with Gaiman-isms. The story is dazzling and the pace unrelenting and the dialogue sparkles. I had to watch it again this morning just to marvel at the writing.
I think Matt Smith realized he was into something special too because he really went with the sheer manic energy of the story. Not that his performance is ever that restrained but he seemed to be in top form for this one. I'm not going to give a plot summary this time. That would spoil it. Not in the classic sense of spoilers, but just because the unraveling of this story is particularly nice to see. You'll laugh. You'll cheer. You might even cry. (Not me of course. I am too tough.) Trust me. This is a good one.
If you're a fan of Doctor who, you're in for a treat. If you're a fan of Gaiman you'll see his hand everywhere. Did I mention I hate him sometimes? But in a good way.

No comments: