Friday, July 29, 2011

Conan the Inspirational


Wandered through the bookstore this morning and spotted a new Ballentine paperback titled Conan the Barbarian: The Stories That Inspired the Movie. I wondered what stories had been chosen for the collection so I thumbed through to the table of contents.
Some of you may recall that late last year I put up a list of my top five Conan stories. I was glad to see that the editors of this new volume had chosen four of my five, The Tower of the Elephant, Rogues in the House, Red Nails, and The People of the Black Circle, leaving out my fifth choice, Beyond the Black River. They also included Queen of the Black Coast and The Phoenix on the Sword. I can see why they wouldn't want Black River in a book meant to compliment the movie as its frontier background doesn't really fit with the movie version of Conan.
The Phoenix on the Sword is, of course, the first Conan story, so I can see why they used it and the other selections are regarded as classics in the series. I would certainly hand this paperback to a new reader of REH. In fact, I probably will.

4 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Funny enough, it's reported that the UK edition does include "Beyond the Black River." No idea why the discrepancy.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

The US publisher was afraid I'd realize they were using my blog for free editorial content! But their UK counterparts have tipped their hand.

On a more realistic note, that is kind of odd.

Mikeyboy said...

Great blog Charles...I'm a follower now

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Glad to have you, Mikeyboy!