Monday, July 11, 2011

Writing Report

So, I'm about 20,000 words into a 10,000 word short story. Yeah, that's how it goes. I can never figure how to start something or what viewpoint I want or anything like that until I get in there and start writing. So I end up throwing a lot of stuff away. I'm working on this year's entry for the Michael Moorcock challenge over at Moorcock's Miscellany. There were two possible themes available this time, something set in Mike's End of Time series, or something using The Ship that Sails Between Worlds. Easy choice for me, since the ship figures in what is probably my favorite Elric book, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate.
So I wrote about 3000 words on an idea and I decided I didn't like the viewpoint character. So I switched to a different character and started over and I wrote about 4000 words and then decided that I didn't like the secondary characters or the plot. So I started again and wrote about 4000 words and decided I didn't like...well, you get the idea. So , at the moment I have two different plots and two different main characters and a big stack of secondary characters and I'm writing both stories at once, and I have about 7000 words of each. I may just finish both of them and submit the one I like best. Or one might take the lead and edge the other one out. Or I might start again. Writing. As the old saying goes it's just one damn word after another...

No comments: