Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Maze of the Minotaur


Tonight's episode of Doctor Who, The God Complex, apparently features a minotaur as one of the monsters. This is a little annoying to me, as I plotted a Doctor Who story a few month's back titled The Maze of the Minotaur. My basic idea was that the Doctor and Amy are visiting the isle of Crete and they end up in the maze under the palace of King Minos with a bunch of other folks being sacrificed to the minotaur. Of course, this being a Doctor Who story, the minotaur would turn out to be an alien construct, genetically engineered by marooned aliens as a guardian so they could be undisturbed while they worked at repairing the drive to their star ship. The big problem was that their extremely inefficient drive technology would require a huge amount of matter to operate. Say, about a third of the earth. So double menace and a chance for a last minute countdown of the sort Who fans love.
Anyway, tonight's episode looks to be nothing like that, but still, they're using a minotaur so phooey. I could still write it, but if I tried to sell it somewhere, it's always going to look like I was copying one of the TV episodes. Bah.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

Welcome to my world. When I saw "The Girl Who Waited", my reaction was: "Wait, that's the script I'm writing!"

Well, at least we know we're fairly close to what's actually being bought!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Heh, for sure, Jeri. Worst thing about The God Complex was, aside from the maze like quality of the hotel, there really wasn't a good reason for the creature to be a minotaur. Could have used any scary monster and saved the minotaur for me! Oh well, as you say, we're thinking in the ball park.