Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The 2011 Fright Flick Festival


As I noted in an earlier post, I haven't had as much time to do Halloween stuff this October as last year, but I am still working in some Halloween Movies. In addition to the two Lovecraft related films reviewed below, I have watched:

The Haunting. (1963) Pretty much an annual Halloween tradition for me. based on Shirley Jackson's novel, The Haunting of Hill House, this is the haunted house film to end all haunted house films and it remains my favorite scary movie.

King Kong. (1933) One of the classics. I don't know how many times I've seen it, but I never get tired of it. The special effects were groundbreaking for the day and many of them were used right up to the arrival of Computer Generated Imagery.


Next in Line:

Bubba Ho-Tep. (2002) Terrific adaptation of Joe Lansdale's creepy, funny, outrageous novella about an aging Elvis Presley fighting a Mummy in a retirement home in rural Texas. Bruce Campbell is great as The King, who as it turns out, didn't actually pass away in 1977.

Trick or Treat (2007) Haven't seen this anthology film yet but a couple of friends recommended it to me, and my pal Jim loaned me a copy.

I'm also still watching episodes of the first season of Supernatural and enjoying them quite a bit. Got a couple of other ideas for the season as well. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: