Saturday, October 08, 2011

Tales of the Hook


We all heard them when were younger. The story of the man with a hook for a hand who killed kids on lovers lane or murdered a girl in her bedroom while her friend was sleeping, leaving a bloody message on the wall saying 'Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the lights.'
Hook Man, the 7th episode of season one of the TV series Supernatural, dramatizes these legends and manages to hit all the right notes. Cliff and Jim had been recommending this series to me for a while, so when I spotted a used box set of season one for a song at Movie Stop I decided to pick it up. Now that Halloween is approaching, I decided it was time to start watching the show. It took me a few episodes to get into the adventures of brothers Sam and Dean, the sons of a man who hunts supernatural menaces after his wife is killed by an evil entity. When the series begins, dad has gone missing and it falls to the boys to go looking for him, using his commonplace book as a clue. Along the way they take part in the family business, destroying ghosts, monsters, and all manner of evil creatures in towns all over America. Think of it as Route 66 with monsters.
The Hook Man episode was the one that finally made me decide I like the show a lot. It was very tightly written with some nice character bits for Sam and a good twist at the end. It also reminded me of stories that some of my teachers used to tell when I was in school. Probably get sued if they told such stories today. Anyway I'll be watching more episodes as the Halloween season continues.

No comments: