Friday, October 28, 2011

Wolves


A couple of posts ago I talked about the upcoming Dark Horse comics adaptation of Robert E. Howard's story Queen of the Black Coast and the fan based controversy surrounding the choice of Becky Cloonan as artist for the series. Cloonan had recommended that anyone interested in seeing how she would approach Conan check out her mini-comic Wolves. I dutifully ordered a copy and it arrived yesterday. I was very impressed. Wolves is a dark, moody, and very well drawn comic with a nice sword & sorcery vibe. Cloonan illustrates guys with swords, a werewolf, guys in plate armor and helmets, and woods as dark as those in Conan's homeland of Cimmeria, and she does a great job. I liked the fact that the ending is open to interpretation too. An impressive little comic that puts me in mind of Karl Edward Wagner's werewolf story, Reflections for the Winter of My Soul. Anyway, anyone concerned about Cloonan's chops for drawing Conan should definitely give Wolves a look. I liked what I saw.

If you'd like your own copy of Wolves go here.

http://beckycloonan.bigcartel.com/

No comments: