Monday, November 28, 2011

Weekend Report


My five day weekend didn't get off to quite the start I had hoped for. Wednesday night, while leaving the Mexican restaurant where I'd just had dinner with friends, I wasn't paying attention and I stepped into a depression in the asphalt and rolled my ankle, leaving me with a bad sprain. By the time I got home, the ankle had swollen up to the size of a tennis ball, so I put some ice on it and took some pain killer. The next day I couldn't really walk on it, but I taped it up and hobbled up to the assisted living home to see my grandmother.
After that I went home and basically spent the next two days with my foot elevated. Wasn't that big a deal, as I had planned to spend a lot of the long weekend watching movies and reading, I just hadn't planned on it being enforced. I can walk normally now, but there's still some pain, and given what I know of sprains, that will probably be the case for a while.
So Thanksgiving was short. I didn't go to my brother's house for the annual dinner, so I didn't have any turkey. I'm okay with that. Thanksgiving isn't a big deal for me these days.
So overall, the weekend was fine, other than the ankle thing. I re-read David Gemmell's book Hero in the Shadows, which finishes up his Waylander series. I hadn't read that one in about a decade so I'd forgotten a lot of it. I was talking to my pal Brian, who I introduced to Gemmell's fiction, and he asked if anyone had stepped up to fill the gap left by Gemmell's death, and I told him sadly no. There's still no one writing the sort of action filled, hard edged fantasy that Gemmell did so well. It wasn't quite sword & sorcery, but it was close.
I finished that up and started on Stephen King's 11/22/63, which I commented on in the post below. Still working on that one. At 849 pages it's another King doorstop. As I mentioned in the previous post, the book is about time travel. Basically a guy goes back to try and stop the Kennedy assassination in 1963. Not exactly a new idea. But King gives it his own twist. The method of time travel only allows the traveler to go to one specific day, which is in 1958. So if the guy wants to stop the assassination, he has to spend five years of his life in the past. If anything goes wrong he could presumably try again, (Every trip is a reset.) but he'd have to give up another five years. Interesting concept. King does a great job of recreating the past as he remembers it, giving readers a glimpse of a world long gone. Oh and part of it takes place in King's fictional Maine town of Derry. And if you've been to Derry before, you know that means trouble. More on that later.
I watched a couple more episodes of the second season of The Walking Dead. You can tell the budget for the show has been cut by the shortage of zombies in what's theoretically a show about zombies. The writing is still pretty strong and character focused, but nothing much seems to be happening. The show's pace has slowed. Still enjoying it, but I haven't found the second season as strong as the first.
Did a re-watch on the David Tennant Doctor Who episode, The Christmas Invasion. This was Tennant's first actual episode as the Doctor and it's interesting seeing him getting into the role. This is also just a fun holiday episode with plenty of British Christmas trappings. I used to watch all the Doctor Who Christmas episodes on Christmas day, but there are so many now, that I'll be spreading them out a bit. I haven't watched last year's Christmas show since it originally aired so that will be the one I save for Christmas day, I think.
Anyway, I watched some other stuff and read some non-fiction and some comic books and I played Lord of the Rings Online a good bit. (Kharrn is level 72 of 75 now.) I also did a surprising amount of drawing. Guess I was just in the mood to sketch. Not much writing. Still recharging from finishing the novel and sorting ideas for next project. So there ya go.

4 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Sorry about your ankle.

I've read a handful of Gemmel - I think Waylander was the best. I need to read more of his stuff.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks, Paul. I'm healing up.

For some reason I always see Waylander as Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Jose Wales. Yes, be sure and give some more of Gemmell's books a try. I'm a big fan of Druss, so those are my favorites, but I like Waylander a lot and the stand alone Winter Warriors.

Arion said...

Hello, thanks for visiting my blog.

By the way, I read the first issue of Road of Kings and enjoyed it. Are you getting Dark Horse Conan's new series in February?

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yep, Arion, I'm looking forward to seeing how Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan do on Queen of the Black Coast. Also looking forward to Tim Truman and Tomas Giorello on The Scarlet Citadel.