Saturday, January 21, 2012

Desert of Souls Redux


I reviewed The Desert of Souls, the debut novel of author Howard Andrew Jones, last February when the hardback came out. I'm going to recommend it again because it's just out in trade paperback.
Seriously, if you're one of those people (like me) who's always complaining about the sameness of current fantasy novels, you need to give this one a try. If you are tired of the latest retelling of medieval history dressed up with magic and dragons, or if you wish the Tolkien wannabes would just take a break, or if you cringe when you see yet another Anita Blake clone, then run down to your local bookstore and snatch up Desert of Souls.
The book's setting in 8th century Baghdad already sets it apart from the standard fantasy novel. You'll hear echoes of the Arabian Nights. Of Robert E. Howard and Harold Lamb. Maybe even a touch of Conan Doyle. But as I mentioned in my original review, these are evocations not imitations. Jones is too original a writer to just retread old ground.
Anyway, I'm going to supply a link to my full review from last year, just in case anyone wants more info. If you're up for swashbuckling action in an exotic setting with monsters, sorcery and even some romance, give Desert of Souls a try.

http://singular--points.blogspot.com/2011/02/desert-of-souls.html

No comments: