Friday, January 27, 2012

Final Thunstone Art


The latest email from Haffner Press features the finished cover art by Raymond Swanland for the upcoming The Complete John Thunstone. I posted the cover rough a few weeks back. Looks really nice, says I.
It's funny how much I'm looking forward to this book, since I already own all the material inside. I think it's just because I'm happy to see Manly Wade Wellman's name on a new book cover and because this means that new readers will have a chance to discover Wellman's fiction. At a mere forty bucks for all the Thunstone short stories and both novels, this is a seriously good deal. Plus, I've bought enough books from Haffner Press to know how well made their books are. In fact, I was thinking this morning that Haffner would be a great publisher to reprint Karl Edward Wagner's Kane stories, which are sadly in need of being reprinted. An affordable, quality set of Kane would be a boon to fantasy readers everywhere.

4 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I noticed that update, too. Funny, when I put the pic on my wall last month, I didn't know it wasn't the completed pic. I thought it was just an abstract face! (well, it was, but I didn't realize there was more detail to come)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah, the 'rough' could have gone as a finished cover. The guy is good.

Stephen Haffner said...

If you can believe it, there's an even more detailed *final* FINAL image to come.

And, I agree. Haffner Press would make a good outlet for editions of Wagner's "Kane" works.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I'll keep an eye out for it, Stephen. And I think Mr. Swanland would be an excellent choice for a Kane collection if you ever do it.