Thursday, January 26, 2012

One With a Bit More Heart


I mentioned a few posts ago that I'd acquired two books that had once belonged to writer Karl Edward Wagner. I've picked up one more. This one has a bit more meaning to me, however, in that unlike the other two books, which were contributor copies of books Wagner had stories in, this book was a favorite of his from his personal library.
In his essay, The Once and Future Kane, Wagner mentions that Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword was one of his favorite two or three novels of all time. He includes it in his list of influences as a writer of heroic fantasy, along with C.L. Moore and others. I purchased his copy of The Broken Sword to add to my own library. It's a first edition, signed by Anderson and with KEW's bookplate in the front. I'll be proud to put this one on my bookshelf.
Michael Moorcock maintains that the original Broken Sword is superior to the edition that Poul Anderson edited for the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series. I'll be interested in seeing how the two differ.

3 comments:

Brian Murphy said...

Wow, that is a great buy. First edition TBS, signed by Anderson, from KEW's library? Are you kidding me? Nice job.

Keith said...

I'm going to start shopping for books where you shop.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Brian, yeah man, I was thrilled.


Keith, I'd be glad to put you in touch with the book seller. email me, if you like, at crrut101@gmail.com.