Sunday, January 08, 2012

The Other Whispers


Since so many folks recommended the Whispers series after I mentioned I'd picked up one volume,(and since I found the contents of that book to be excellent) I checked with the folks who sold me book IV and found that they had a set of all six books for a very good price, especially since, like the first one I bought, one of the others (volume V) had once belonged to writer Karl Edward Wagner. So those are winging their way to me as we speak. So now I'll own two books that once belonged to Wagner, and a full set of Whispers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agh! There I was talkin' them up, and I didn't even know there was a Whispers 6.

Seriously, if you love Weird Tales style macabre fiction as much as I believe you do, you will find the stories in these books as good as anything that has seen print since the 1930's. There are treasures in those pages.

John Hocking

Keith said...

Congratulations on scoring the whole set. I've got a couple of volumes but not all of them. I echo what John says, though. Some of the best weird stories since before or after they were published.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

John, Whispers IV impressed me right off the bat, just with the contents list, and a quick check of the contents of the other volumes shows just as many classic writers. So far in IV I've really been taken with Hugh B. Cave's 'What Say the Frogs Now, Jenny', Ramsey Campbell's 'Out of Copyright', and of course KEW's 'Into Whose Hands', which I'd read before, but still enjoyed reading again.

Keith, yes the contents of the various volumes are very impressive. Looking forward to reading my way through all of these.