Sunday, January 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Robert E. Howard!


Today is Robert E. Howard's birthday. If you've spent much time at this blog then you know that Howard has been a big part of my life since I was a kid. His creation Conan the Cimmerian is one of my very favorite fictional characters. Howard has given me untold hours of reading pleasure.
He's also one of my biggest influences as a writer. People say I write good fight scenes and I think I can credit REH with a lot of that. I'm always trying for that headlong visceral feel that Howard managed to get into his fights. I've learned other writing lessons from him as well.
I don't think Howard could have imagined, back in the 1930s when he was spinning his tales, that so many people would have been influenced by his work, and I'm sure he never would have believed what a huge cultural icon Conan would become. So here's to Robert E. Howard. Happy birthday sir, and thanks for all the great characters and stories

1 comment:

Keith said...

I agree completely. I was introduced to Howard through Conan, and the Cimmerian will always be one of my favorites.