Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Downton Abbey


I've gotten hooked on Downton Abbey. Yes, yes, I know. No barbarians. No swords. No monsters to speak of. But as I have occasionally mentioned, I am a hopeless anglophile. I've always enjoyed British literature and British films and television, and something about this big, lavishly produced soap opera just pulled me in. The acting is very good, the characters are interesting, and the period detail is amazing. I finished up the first season last week and I'm watching the second season now. I'm not finding the second season, with it's World War One setting, to be quite as enthralling as the first season, which was mostly about morals and manners and the vast differences between social classes, but it's still pretty darn interesting. The cast is really impressive, particularly Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess of Grantham, and Michelle Dockery as the strong willed Lady Mary Crawley. I kept thinking I'd seen Dockery before and I finally realized last night that she played Death's granddaughter Susan in the live action adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.
Further Geek factor is added by Hugh Bonneville, who appeared as a pirate captain on last year's Doctor Who, and by fellow Doctor Who alumni Penelope Wilton, who I keep expecting to whip out an ID card and declare herself Harriet Jones, former prime minister. (Yes, we know who you are.)
Anyway, if you enjoy a little upstairs-downstairs style drama with excellent writing, acting and production values, check out Downton Abbey.

No comments: