Thursday, April 19, 2012

Acquisitions


Big night at the comic book store last night. I got the All-Star Squadron DC Showcase. I was a big fan of this Roy Thomas scripted comic back in the day. I just enjoyed seeing all those Golden Age heroes in action during World War Two. Some of Rich Buckler's best art too, with inks by Jerry Ordway when he was just getting into the comics business.
And picked up a new edition of Dracula, this one illustrated by Becky Cloonan, the current artist on Conan the Barbarian. Some really nice illustrations, with Cloonan's ever impressive line work. I never could learn to ink with a brush worth a darn, and I'm always impressed by people who are good inkers.
Also got Black Wings of Cthulhu, a new collection of Lovecraft pastiches. Looks like a good line up with folks like Caitlin Kiernan, Laird Barron, Michael Shea, Darrell Schweitzer, Ramsey Campbell, and Brian Stableford. Looking forward to working my way through this one. Couple of other items too, which I'll discuss later, but those are the biggies.
Got a couple of packages in the mail as well, one with another of Frank Belknap Long's Gothic romances, and a collection of Victorian horror stories I'd been looking for. Don't think I'll be short anything to read this weekend.

2 comments:

Will Errickson said...

That Black Wings cover is phenomenal! One of the best Lovecraft-related ones yet.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah it's really sharp eh? Classy.