Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Adventure of the Photogenic Vampire

I emailed by pal Chris about the death of Jonathan Frid, and he reminded me that I had written a story a dozen or so years ago using a character based on Frid as the villain. I'd actually forgotten it, so I pulled out several boxes of old manuscripts. After digging for a while, I found the story, a Sherlockian sort of tale (but not with Holmes in it, obviously), called The Adventure of the Photogenic Vampire. It was about an actor named Jefferson Craig who had appeared on a show called Shadowed Heights (an actual alternate title for Dark Shadows, I think) playing a vampire named Belasco Clayton in the 1960s-70s. In the 1990s, Craig was appearing in a Broadway revival of the show. Thing was, he didn't appear to have aged at all, and there were some suspicious deaths following the show. But of course he couldn't be a vampire because he had appeared on television and vampires can't be photographed. Or can they? I winced at some of the writing, but the plot holds up pretty well. maybe I'll rewrite it at some point.

No comments: