Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blood Priestess of Vig N'Ga


Another rousing Ki-Gor adventure. This time the jungle lord is firmly in Edgar Rice Burroughs style territory as he travels to a hidden valley in which there are two warring lost cities, a plot familiar to anyone who has read Tarzan and the City of Gold, Tarzan Lord of the Jungle, Tarzan and the Lost Empire, etc, etc.
I wish I knew for sure who the authors of the Ki-Gor stories were, because, as I've noted before, some are really good and some are embarrassingly bad. Blood Priestess of Vig N'Ga is one of the best I've read so far. As my pal Howard Jones has pointed out, the good Ki-Gors often read as if Robert E. Howard had written a Tarzan story, with their mile a minute pace and bloody battles. At one point in Priestess Ki-Gor takes up a sword and, along with three companions, holds a narrow stairwell against an army of foes. It's very much a Conan moment.
There's also some nice descriptive writing, so once again, I wish I knew who the author was. Anyway, I read this one in High Adventure #86, which you can buy through the publisher, Adventure House, or at Amazon. If you're in the mood for some high octane pulp jungle adventure with the world's second best Lord of the Jungle, jump right in. Fun stuff.

2 comments:

Keith said...

Tarzan as written by Robert E. Howard, eh? I've got to check this out.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I think you’ll have fun with Ki-Gor, Keith. Just be sure and latch on to one of the good ones. My favorites so far are the one I just reviewed and one called The Silver Witch. Both are available in High Adventure reprints.