Thursday, May 17, 2012

Acquisitions

And the hits just keep on coming. I was hoping for a little break in the wallet department at the comic book store last night, but as it turned out, I spent more last night than the previous week. A big chunk of that can be blamed on Cemetery Dance's two volume collection The Century's Best Horror. Each of these two massive tomes is 75 bucks and their combined weight is six pounds. One story per year from 1900 to 2000 and only one story per author allowed. So one Lovecraft, one Howard, one Campbell, one Wagner, etc etc. I haven't really had time to sit down and look at them, so I'll have more to say about the books later. Also got Andrew Vachss' new one, This is How I Roll. I haven't enjoyed Vachss books as much since he abandoned his series character Burke, but he still writes a lean, mean crime tale. And, since I admire the man and I know that the profits from his books go to fund his fight against child abuse and neglect, I will always buy every book that he writes. Period. My friend Sara, of the blog My Love-Haunted Heart, recommended that I try Lara Parker's Dark Shadows novel, Angelique's Descent. I started to get it for my Kindle, but then recalled seeing it at the comic store, so I just added it to the stack. The idea of the actress who played the character writing a novel about the character is pretty cool. We'll see how it reads. On the mail order front I got three more John Benteen series Westerns, one Fargo and two Sundance. So, much reading in my future. I'll be staying home a lot anyway, since I'm broke now...

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I enjoy it when an actor decides to embrace their former characters, rather than shun them.

I have the first Richard Hatch (granted, it was co-written) Battlestar Galactica novel and I enjoyed it a lot. I never followed up and didn't hear terribly good things about the rest of the series. But, it was nice to see someone excited about a past role, rather than treating it like a albatross around their neck.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Agreed, Paul. Lara Parker seems very comfortable with her former role and she's published two novels now with a third on the way.