Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Red Lodge

I mentioned a few posts back that I'm working my way through the Cemetery Dance collection The Century's Best Horror, and that I expected to find some "new" writers to read. The story for 1928 was The Red Lodge by H. Russell Wakefield, a writer I was unfamiliar with, but with whom I was very impressed. Sort of in the tradition of M.R. James, The Red Lodge is one of those stories about a house haunted by malignant spirits who terrorize an innocent family who have just moved in. A little research shows that Wakefield was once very popular but since his death in 1964, he has slipped into obscurity. As I said, I'd never heard of him. However, I was sufficiently impressed to go to Amazon and get a 1982 copy of The Best Ghost Stories of H. Russell Wakefield on the way. There are also some kindle books available of his stories, but I'll wait and see what overlap they have with the Best of collection. Between this and The Woman in Black, this seems to be my weekend for M.R. James style horror.

8 comments:

Keith said...

Ash Tree Press collected Wakefield's stories in a series about 10-15 years ago. I've got some but not all of them. They're mostly out of print and expensive on the secondary market, but Ash Tree is in the process of releasing at least some of them as ebooks. I think their ebooks run about $7 US. Wakefield was one of the best practicioners of the ghost story. They're worth checking out.

Keith said...

Here's the link to Ash Tree's ebooks: http://www.ash-tree.bc.ca/eBooks.htm

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Whoa, they have a ton of good stuff there, Keith. Thanks for the link. Yeah, I'm glad to have come across Wakefield. Seems like he writes just my sort of ghost story.

Keith said...

If you like the type of ghost story Wakefield writes, then you definitely want to check out some of the other titles from Ash Tree. When they started up in the 90s, they published a great deal of that type of thing. They've sinced branched out into more modern writers. I recommend the Bensons (although E. F. is the only one available electronically), A. M. Burrage, and of course, M. R. James.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I can see myself spending a lot of cash with them, Keith, for sure. I went ahead and bought the e-book of the complete ghost stories of M.R. James last night. I've read a lot of them in various anthologies but not all. E.F. Benson I know, but not Burrage. Thanks again for the tip.

Keith said...

You're quite welcome. I've picked up quite a few Ash Tree collections over the years, although I've not finished reading as many of them as I would like. They tend to be a little too nice (and expensive) to toss in a suitcase to read on a trip. I'm glad they're doing ebook reprints, especially of their earlier volumes that were out of print when I discovered them.

Keith said...

Charles, my copy of the Century's Best Horror arrived yesterday. I recognized many of the names on the ToC as author Midnight House had published. They're currently having a sale, and some of the authors in Century's Best Horror are included. Shoot me an email if you want details or check out last night's post on my blog if you haven't seen it.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks for that heads up, Keith. I will go to your blog and check it out!