Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sword of the Vampire

I ran across the cover illustration by Ken Kelly during one of my rambles around the internet. I never thought of Barnabas Collins as a sword & sorcery hero, but Ken, still in his early Frazetta phase, certainly seems to have put the vampire into that role. Note the standard S&S babe and the swirly, misty background that wouldn't have been out of place on a Tower or Belmont Conan knock-off paperback. Of course no scene like this takes place in the magazine or anywhere else. Fires the old imagination though. Just keep repeating "I do not have time to write fan fiction, I do not have time to write fan fiction...

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I bought a huge coffee table book of classic genre cover art, just for inspiration. I never got around to it, but I always wanted to pick some classic covers and write my own story without knowing the original - and maybe, if I could find the original, do some comparisons.

It's on my writer's bucket list. ;)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

That does sound like fun. There's an old Jeff Jones painting I've always thought had a story behind it other than the original.