Sunday, May 27, 2012

Thongor Returns!

I was just saying the other day that I wished someone would collect Lin Carter's half dozen short stories about Thongor the Barbarian. I always felt that those stories were some of Carter's better work, and I always preferred them to the Thongor novels. Well my wish has been granted. Wildside Books has just published Young Thongor, which has all six of Carter's stories plus some pastiches by other hands. Since Thongor is basically a Conan pastiche, with elements of Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books thrown in, it's kind of interesting to have pastiches of pastiches. Anyway, more on that when my copy arrives. You can buy it directly from Wildside of get it at Amazon. Available for the Kindle too, but I want a print copy of this one. That reminds me that I haven't blogged about my Lin Carter collection in a long time. Need to get around to that.

7 comments:

Lagomorph Rex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lagomorph Rex said...

I'm quite pleased with this, Several years ago I'd sent Robert M. Price an E-mail following my inability to find one of his Thongor Pastiches (The others were on his website) he very kindly sent me a MS Word Doc containing the missing story and made reference to this collection being something he hoped to get published in the future.

I'm well pleased to get this.

Dougie said...

I'm excited to see this! I remember leafing through one of the short stories about thirty years ago. Always regretted not making that purchase.

It was in a local bookstore that reeked of incense. It was called Bell, Book and Candle.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Price is a stand up guy, Lagomorph. Similar to your experience, he sent me a copy of Astro Adventures that contained Lin Carter's unfinished Barsoom novel, when I wrote to him about it.


Dougie, I'm glad to see it too. I have all the original stories but they're spread across several paperbacks. Be nice to have them all in one place. I think we all had a local bookstore like that back in the 1970s.

Paul R. McNamee said...

I grabbed the Kindle edition, because it was on sale this weekend. I might go back for the print, though.

Glad to see it coming out. I would love to see more of Carter's "second tier" pastiches getting released as very affordable e'books.

Anonymous said...

I just received my copy, a late Father's Day present, today. It is a pleasure to have, although I wish the title were more inspired.

What I can't tell from the intro is whether or not "The Creature in the Crypt" is Carter's prose with Conan changed to Thongor, or, as the intro implies, this is Price's prose from Carter's original outline of the tale he used for Conan.

Howard Andrew Jones

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Howard, the six pure Carter stories are:
Black Hawk of Valkarth
The City in the Jewel
Demon of the Snows
Keeper of the Emerald Flame
Black Moonlight
Thieves of Zangabal
Everything else is by other hands.