Friday, June 22, 2012

The Occult Files of Donald F. Glut

When I was a kid one of my favorite comic books was Gold Key's The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor. Adam Spektor was an occult investigator who fought ghosts, witches, vampires, werewolves, demons, and all kinds of other supernatural menaces. I have always loved monsters so this book was tailor made for me. It didn't hurt that I really liked the art of the series illustrator, Jesse Santos, either. Spektor was written by another guy who loved Monsters, Don Glut (rhymes with flute). Don was a major fan of Universal Horror movies, Famous Monsters of Filmland and all things macabre and as he moved from fan to pro he carried the love of monsters along. I was fortunate enough to interview Don a few years back for Sword and Sorcery .org, and over the years I've occasionally found reason to email him with questions about his writing. Did so the other day with a Spektor related question and Don mentioned he was putting some one of a kind items from his files up for sale on Ebay, including an original typed script from Doctor Spektor #18. This was one of my favorite issues when I was a kid because it took place in Rutland Vermont at Tom Fagan's famous Halloween parade, a real life event that often popped up in comics from Marvel and DC. In a bit of synchronicity, that auction only had an hour to go, so I bid and I won, and now the script, personally inscribed to me, is winging it's way to my door.

No comments: