Sunday, June 10, 2012

Tales From the Crypt

I'd been meaning to pick up Crypt of Cthulhu issue #69 for a while, as it was a special Lin Carter themed issue and I collect Carter's work and things related to him. However this issue usually went for more than I was willing to pay for it at Ebay, so I bided my time and waited for someone to post one at a more reasonable price. Last week someone did and I picked up what looks like a new copy at a very good price. I'm glad I did, as the booklet contained several stories by Carter that I hadn't read, mostly in the Cthulhu mythos, as one would expect. It also has a very nice essay by Carter called Nameless Gods and Entities, which is a listing of Robert E. Howard's contributions to Lovecraft's mythos and the stories in which they appeared. While Carter often gets a bad rap as a writer, most fantasy aficionados agree that he was an excellent editor and compiler, and that quality shows through in the Howard essay. Anyway, Carter is one of those interests of mine which waxes and wanes. He's made a strong showing in the last few weeks with the publication of the Thongor collection (my copy should arrive next week) and with the fortunate finding of this issue of Crypt of Cthulhu. On an interesting note, if you look closely at the cover I've posted you'll see that the illustration is by Bruce Timm, now famous as the designer for many animated cartoons such as Batman, Superman, and Justice League.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have most of the Cryptic Publications-- bought 'em as they came out back in the day. Bruce Timm did quite a bit of art for them, way before he did his justly reknowned work on Batman and the JLA for TV.
One of the pieces he did was reproduced as a full page illustration, and depicted REH, CAS and HPL, each cartoonishly arrayed in outifts inspired by their work-- CAS as arcane sorceror etc. Simply one of the best and most honestly affectionate tributes to the Three Musketeers of Weird Tales I've ever seen.
Always wondered what became of the original.

Aside: I spent a little net-time this weekend following up on a number of people who are attempting to read Karl Edward Wagner's 39 Best Horror Novels as per the list he gave Twilight Zone Magazine back in the early 80's.
I'd seen the list back then, but was unaware that, for some, it had become a Quest.
Seriously, just finding a copy of some of the titles KEW listed is a serious chore. And, frankly, reading some of them can be another. But it was kind of cool to see Wagner's critical legacy still very much alive.
And seeing it, I thought of you. Are you aware of this little sub-world?

John Hocking

Charles R. Rutledge said...

John, there are a couple of guys at the KEW Yahoo group who are trying to work their way through Wagner's reading list. I've considered hunting some of the books down as well, but as you say, some are very expensive and would be slow go in the reading. Still, I might have to give it a try at some point. Appreciate you thinking of me and mentioning it.

Boy I'd like to see that Bruce Timm illo you mentioned. Something else to track down.