Sunday, July 01, 2012

Channeling My Inner Kirby

As a kid my idol was Jack Kirby, the king of comics and one of the most important figures in comic book history. I spent a lot of time copying his artwork out of comics, and as a result, my stuff looked a lot like his. However over the years I became more influenced by John Buscema, another important comics artist and my work became more realistic. BUT, since I don't draw professionally anymore and only sketch things for my own entertainment, I find the Kirby influence showing up more in my sketchbooks these days. I was messing around last night and came up with this rather Kirby-esque rendering of the tenth Doctor and a barbarian. It could be Conan or it could be my Clonan hero Kharrn. But I kind of liked it. I don't ink things these days, so it's a blue pencil layout with finished pencil over that. maybe I'll ink it digitally at some point.

2 comments:

Kate R said...

Hey, that's a fine drawing! I'm impressed.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks Kate!